10/05/2004

Catholic Radar

I was chatting with my friend from college about the latest news on campus. One of our friends is getting more serious with his girlfriend, who happens to not be Catholic. I said jokingly, "Oh no, I think we're gonna lose him." And she laughed, saying that I probably have a little radar that blips every time someone is thinking of leaving the Catholic Church. She said it would be like the theme from It's A Wonderful Life: "every time a bell rings, a Catholic leaves the Church." Horrified, I responded, "But I LOVE handbells! I don't want it to be bells!" Instead I suggested we reference the Peter Pan story: "whenever someone says they don't believe in faeries, another one falls dead." We concluded that the little mantra we'd recite when my radar started blipping would be, "Whenever someone says they don't believe the Pope, another Catholic soul is lost."

So...never say you don't believe the Pope. Or we'll lose more Catholics. And I think it'll break your mother's back too (^;
Speaking of mothers-- mine celebrates her birthday today. Happy Birthday Mom!!!

And, while I'm at it, I should mention that Oct.4 was the feastday of St. Francis of Assisi. If you've never been to Assisi, I highly recommend. Walking up the cobbled streets that Francis walked is like stepping back into the first millennium. The entire valley spreads out in the shadow of the monastery there, and it is truly the most peaceful place on earth. Verdant fields and the purity of a cloister walk welcome you to the site where the Saint's relics are housed.
St. Francis, please bless my dear cat Mittens as she declines into old age. And bless our little scrapper Rosie, a most faithful companion; God keep her safe! Amen.

No comments:

Blog Archive