12/15/2004

Seth & the City (2)

I'm at the branch library again. My roommate warns me that perhaps I take the whole anti-Catholic conspiracy a little too seriously. But I'm looking through the Religion section for Catholic books. They do have the "Witness to Hope" biography of the Pope; but it's far outnumbered by less-welcome titles such as "Papal Sin" and the verboten work by Uta Ranke-Heinemann which earned her a place among such ne'erdowells as Hans Kung and CUA's Curran. Most of the books that cause to me react with displeasure are standard fare at most public libraries. Libraries being places that enjoy affirming the right to free speech and Chicago being trumpeted as the City of Free Speech and this particular branch being in the heart of Gay Chicago, I'm not altogether surprised at the dismal selection of Catholic works. But- taking a cue from the free speech doctrine- doesn't it make sense to allow Catholic patrons the right to a selection of REPUTABLE Catholic literature? Other than the Bible and the George Weigel text, shouldn't there be a decent selection to choose from? Instead I'm met with shelves full of every anti-Catholic book ever published.

My friends at the Seminary expressed grave concern that I was choosing to fast from the Eucharist. Depriving myself the sacramental graces conferred through the consecrated species renders me more susceptible to Evil, so they argued. If anything, I feel that being without the Eucharist has rendered my senses more acute. I am more aware of how much vitriol is present in the world against the Church than I have ever been, and I am more aware of the Eucharist as its antidote. I feel that behind the acerbity and bile, beyond the assault against truth lies an innate need to feel the Church's embrace. People want affirmation they seem unable to find in the Church. And so they spit upon her- or worse, disregard her altogether-- or even worse, fiercely undertake to render her mute.

Satan does not prefer the Church and its Gospel to go away. No, the delight comes in having her sit and watch in paralyzed silence as her dignity is violated.

No comments:

Blog Archive