12/06/2004

Seth & the City

Today, after walking about the streets of my new East Lakeview neighborhood, I find myself in the throes of discovering the unknown. In one sense, I am humbled and grateful at the generosity of friends- my friend who drove me here and the one who has opened his home to me while I seek employment. I am blessed by God who has brought me to this magnificent place. I am thankful to be within ambling distance of all the amenities I will need for apartment living. I live right in the middle of a multicultural culinary smorgasboard. And I am within a few short blocks of a magnificent Catholic Church. So I have reason to be elated today.

However, my enchantment with my new surroundings is offset by misgivings about its cosmopolitan and overtly secular vibe. I happen to be in the heart of Gay Chicago, and with that comes unsettling looks as I stroll the streets with my roommate. I had the distinct impression that the woman working at the bookstore was really a man. And today, when I went to the local branch library, I had an encounter with the clerk that left me more unsettled than all the rest combined. I went to the periodical section, which was surprisingly spare, and sought even ONE Catholic magazine or newspaper. Of course there weren't any, but I figured- with a Catholic Church right nextdoor- it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that the population percentages/interest warranted Catholic subscriptions at the local library. So I exercised my right to freedom of information, and inquired if I could request a subscription. The clerk told me what I expected to hear: that all such decisions are made at central offices, and most acquisition requests take a year to process. That was fine; I understand how libraries work.

But then the clerk did the unexpected; as soon as I told her which periodical I was requesting, she asked quizzically, "And what kind of periodical is that? Is it religious?" I said yes, and she said, "What is it? Jehovah witness or something?" To which I said, "Catholic" and she went "Ohhh-- well- you can try calling Acquisitions" and curtly ended the inquiry.

It wasn't so much anything she said. It was what she didn't say that got my dander up. And the tone in her voice when I said "Catholic" and the facial expression that registered for an instant before she put on her false smile and told me I could look elsewhere. It cheapened the day for me.

But I'm gladly looking forward to celebrating St. Nick's Day with my roommate. He already found something in his shoe this morning. If you want to hear his perspective on my arrival, it's quite funny, and I'm submitting it as a posted comment below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It's a ladle, you don't even know it's a ladle!" -Felix

They say that art imitates life, and vice versa.

And it seems that in this case, whoever 'they' are, happen to be right.

For those of you who haven't heard already, I am gaining a roommate. And it happens to be none other than S.W.P. Yes, the Seth W. For those of you who don't know, while at Aquinas Seth and I played opposite each other in the very successful play The Odd Couple. This show is from the movie The Odd Couple, starring Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon, and the very sucessful TV series which followed in the 70s. It is about two recent divorcees who room with each other but are pretty much the exact opposite and proceed to drive eachother nuts. Arguments occur frequently and hilarity ensues.

I played Oscar, who is a rough around the edges bachelor type who doesn't really care about cleaning his apartment and stays out to all hours of the night. Seth played Felix Unger, whose character is extremely neurotic and anal retentive, and whose cleanliness and cooking habits bordered on nearly obsessive compulsive. For those of you who know us, this was, in the words of Sarah Kommer's review in the AQ Times, "the most brilliant piece of casting ever." Or, as both sets of our parents put it, after seeing the show "It's like neither of you really had to act at all, all you had to do was be yourselves."

As it happened, Seth was looking to get out into the city and get a job, perhaps also do some work with some of the local churches in the area. As it also happened, my student loan payments are about to begin. Also, I have a very good friend who has a good line on an awesome deal for a bunk bed. (which, if you have seen my studio, you know that to have 2 people live there pretty much necesitates a bunkbed)

Actually, my studio is a pretty nice size, bigger than a dorm room--so I don't think it will be any trouble. The rent gets split in half, and my studio gets a bit cleaner! I may even end up eating non-microwavable food! Plus, I'll probably end up going to church more, and probably end up "not being so wild" as my mother put its. Naturally, she see's Seth's moving in with me as a miracle from God. ("at last! my boy is going to go to Church!") And of course, Mrs. Peters said to me on the phone "God Bless Pat Hurley!" Seems she possibly was a bit tired of having her youngest at home. Hilarious.

So yeah, Oscar and Felix are going to be actually sharing an apartment. Picture my studio-with all my posters, but with a touch more class and also clean. Very clean. Super clean. So scarifyingly clean so that bacteria fear to even go near the place.

Actually I think it will be pretty fun. Luckily Seth and I share one overwhelming similar interest: The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I'm sure we will spend many an hour discussing various books that we like to read.

So yeah, that's the scoop. And for all of you, if you happen to be in the Windy City, feel free to come visit. I'm sure that you will be amused!

~Pat "Oscar" H.

"You wanna yell at me, then put down the spoon!" -Oscar

Blog Archive