1/23/2008

Novena 4

St. Thomas, devoted to truth
"But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head,
into Christ" (Eph 4:15).

St. Thomas, you devoted your life to seeking the truth and explaining it to others. You dedicated your mind to God, and used it to probe the Word of God more deeply. Your gifts as a theologian and philosopher make you stand out as one of the greatest doctors of the Church. In your discussions, you made truth your primary aim, while treating respectfully anyone who differed with you.
Obtain for me too a great love of truth. Help me to ponder God's word so as to draw from it the light I need to nourish myself spiritually. Keep me firmly rooted in the truth, and never let me be swayed by false teachings. I pray also for those who are lost in darkness; please bring them into the light of truth.

St. Thomas Aquinas, patron of students and Catholic schools,
I thank God for the gifts of light and knowledge He bestowed on you,
which you used to build up the Church in love.
I thank God, too, for the wealth and richness of theological teaching
you left in your writings.
Not only were you a great teacher, you lived a life of virtue
and you made holiness the desire of your heart.
If I cannot imitate you in the brilliance of your academic pursuits,
I can follow you in the humility and charity which marked your life.
As St. Paul said, charity is the greatest gift, and it is open to all.
Pray for me that I might grow in holiness and charity.
Pray also for Catholic schools, and for all students.
In particular, please obtain the favor I ask during this novena.
(mention your request)

Amen.

No comments:

Blog Archive