3/17/2009

Wear your green!

If I were back in Chicago, I know exactly what I'd be doing today.

Fortunately, there's a wee little town nearby whose center is a wee little pub called Fenian's. They have a parade and they have Irish Cream and they have bands with actual Irishmen.

It will be grand!

I'll be making Colcannon, Corned Beef 'n' Cabbage, and making sure the leprechauns don't get into the Orange juice...they prefer it a different color for some reason ;)

Catholic Culture has some tips for keeping this day focused on St. Patrick:

This is a good day to honor St. Patrick by trying typical Irish fare: corned beef and cabbage, soda bread, scones, stew, Shepherd's pie, potatoes in various forms and the famous beer and spirits of Ireland. For dessert, try making the Irish Porter Cake.

Read the Lorica (Breastplate) of St. Patrick. Here is an older translation — pray it with your family after your rosary tonight.

From the Catholic Culture library: The Conversion of Ireland by Warren Carroll, The Irish Soldiers of Mexico by Michael Hogan, The Irish Madonna of Hungary by Zsolt Aradi and Our Lady in Old Irish Folklore and Hymns by James F. Cassidy.


St. Anthony Messenger has their usual, including nifty e-cards.

National Geographic News bursts a few bubbles, but also shares some fun factiods.

You might be surprised to learn that Patrick's not the only saint being celebrated today. Learn about the rest here, where I found this quote:

I came to the Irish people to preach the Gospel and endure the taunts of unbelievers, putting up with reproaches about my earthly pilgrimage, suffering many persecutions, even bondage, and losing my birthright of freedom for the benefit of others. If I am worthy, I am ready also to give up my life, without hesitation and most willingly, for Christ’s name. I want to spend myself for that country, even in death, if the Lord should grant me this favor. It is among that people that I want to wait for the promise made by him, who assuredly never tells a lie. He makes this promise in the Gospel: “They shall come from the east and west and sit down with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.” This is our faith: believers are to come from the whole world.
- from the Confession of Saint Patrick

No comments:

Blog Archive