3/07/2019

Invisible foes

Amy Welborn cites quotes from St. Basil about fasting, including this:
When an army is summoned abroad, the provisions the soldiers take are for necessities, not for self-indulgence.  Seeing that we are marching out for war against invisible enemies, pursuing victory over them so as to hasten to the homeland above, will it not be much more appropriate for us to be content with necessities as if we were among those living the regimented life of a military camp?
This resonates with me, as I have found myself contending with invisible foes that seem to always gain the upper hand.

But I was also pleasantly surprised to experience Ash Wednesday this year as a day of abundance. The local grocery store ran a special half-off all food in the produce department. I was able to stock up on foods in midwinter that would normally be outside my budget, on a day of fasting. It struck me how much the Lord favors those who deny themselves.

I share in Amy's marveling at the idea of fasting as a day to take a break. Sitting at table on Ash Wednesday with my four children, eating a very simple meal of undressed pasta with broccoli (my only meal that day), I did not feel deprived; rather I felt very very blessed with abundance. 

Here is some wisdom from Newman, on fasting:
https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2019/03/06/unlearning-ourselves-in-lent/

No comments:

Blog Archive