7/24/2024

Well, if it's just a cymbal

Amy Welborn highlights a quote that speaks of the Land of Grief:

Also – we always focus on the “to hell with it” part, but to me, the last part of O’Connor’s telling is just as powerful.

….this is all I will ever be able to say about it, outside a story…

Rereading that letter just now, I was struck hard by the succinct truth of another sentence, her description of another encounter, a phrasing that encapsulates not only the worldview of so many of her characters – before they are struck by grace, that is – and, well, us, right?

Most of them live in a world God never made.

You could take that in different ways: In their view, the existence of the world has nothing to do with God…or the life they lead – their priorities, the structures of their lives – are human, skewed creations, glittering and entertaining Towers of Babel?

It reinforces for me a sentiment that dogs me tirelessly, that I no longer want to live in this world, and to some degree, I never really have. It holds no more lustre. 

No comments:

Blog Archive