6/19/2005

Faith of our Fathers

My grandma (who believes in a literalist interpretation of the Bible, courtesy the hours she spends watching televangelists) announced the day by wishing me a happy father's day. I thanked her but reminded her that I wasn't a father. She said that we should call no man on earth father except our Father in heaven; "Today is Jesus' day, so that means we all can celebrate Father's Day- and tell your dad Happy Daddy's Day for me."

I celebrated the day by baking my father a cake. And I wish to take a moment to honor a very special father, St. Joseph:

Blessed Joseph, husband of Mary, be with us this day.
You protected and cherished the Virgin;
loving the Child Jesus as your Son,
you rescued Him from the threat of infanticide.
Defend the Church, the household of God,
purchased by the blood of Christ.

Guardian of the Holy Family,
be with us in our trials.
May your prayers obtain for us
the strength to flee from error
and wrestle with the powers of corruption
so that in life we may grow in holiness
and in death rejoice in the crown of victory.
Amen.

May we all seek to honor our Father in heaven by living a life of integrity and virtue.

And, as it turns out, I can accept personally the well-wishes of the day, for this is my first Father's Day as a Godfather!!!

No comments:

Blog Archive