1/22/2008

Novena 3

St. Thomas, example of humility
"All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted"
(Mt 23:12).


St. Thomas, when you were a young student some of your classmen called you the "dumb ox." Although you were more intelligent than all of them, you bore their insults patiently without retaliating. You were endowed with a keen mind but recognized that God is the source of all gifts. You humbly acknowledged your dependence on God, and begged him to enlighten you so that you would act only for his glory.
St. Thomas, pray for me that I too learn to act out of humility and never from the empty desire for esteem in the sight of others. Help me to seek only God's glory and to act with a right intention. May I seek to humble myself now, so that in heaven I will shine like the stars for all eternity.

St. Thomas Aquinas, patron of students and Catholic schools,
I thank God for the gifts of light and knowledge He bestowed on you,
which you used to build up the Church in love.
I thank God, too, for the wealth and richness of theological teaching
you left in your writings.
Not only were you a great teacher, you lived a life of virtue
and you made holiness the desire of your heart.
If I cannot imitate you in the brilliance of your academic pursuits,
I can follow you in the humility and charity which marked your life.
As St. Paul said, charity is the greatest gift, and it is open to all.
Pray for me that I might grow in holiness and charity.
Pray also for Catholic schools, and for all students.
In particular, please obtain the favor I ask during this novena.
(mention your request)

Amen.

No comments:

Blog Archive