2/27/2024

Lamentation

 “The voice of a sighing heart, 

Its sob and mournful cries,

I offer up to you, O Seer of Secrets.

I play the fruits of my wavering mind

as a savory sacrifice on the fire of my grieving soul

to be delivered to you 

In the censer of my will.


Compassionate Lord, 

Breathe in this offering.

Look more favorably upon it

than upon a more sumptuous sacrifice,

offered with rich smoke.

Please find these simple words acceptable.

Do not turn in disdain.


Why you have you hardened my miserable heart,

so I do not fear you,

who is beyond words and awe.

Help me, so I will not be unfruitful, 

Like the planter vainly sowing seeds into barren ground.

Spare me that I may not 

Labor without birth,

Sigh without tears,

Meditate without voice,

Cloud without rain, 

Struggle without reaching,

Call without being heard,

Implore without being heeded,

Groan without being comforted,

Beg without being helped,

Smolder without aroma,

See you without being fulfilled.


Hear me, Lord, before I cry out to you,

Who alone are almighty.

Do not leave the wages of my suffering unrecompensed,

For the tallied days of my life of sin,

Wayward soul that I am.”


-from an Armenian text, posted by The Pillar.

No comments:

Blog Archive